The Imagined Futures Alliance Against Depression (IFAAD) was formed with the collective goal of implementing the European Alliance Against Depression (EAAD) framework in Western Australia across our three local government areas of Cockburn, Fremantle and Melville.
Establishing a local AAD brings community stakeholders together to work on targeted activities such as:
- Public awareness campaigns to reduce the stigma associated with depression;
- Support for high-risk groups, patients and their families;
- Localised training for health professionals;
- Education activities on depression and suicide for community members and leaders;
- Strengthening strategies to enable help seeking behaviour and to ensure people know that depression can be treated.
The true success of the framework rests on integrating the delivery of activities across all four pillars.